[Grassroots-l] [bytesforall_readers] Computing power to every home

Satish Jha sjha at vsnl.com
Sun Jul 24 19:32:15 EDT 2011

Dear Ed,

Does OLPC 1.75 cost $150. For 100,000 pieces it currently costs $209. And
more for smaller orders as the manufacturer responds to scale and taking
smaller orders adds up costs.

But Novatium costs $844 over a five year period and that is way more than
$209 and does not offer any computing capability on hand and without being
connected.

That's too constraining as well.

The India of Novatium seems to be the 5% privileged people who are
not-too-privileged.. As no one who can afford to buy a computer will find it
easy to use Novatium approach and will see little value in it.

Its the BSNL model, not a business model.

BSNL offered it to OLPC as well but we declined it as its a money making
model that does not touch education.

If BSNL agreed to do it for the village schools offering broadband at $10
per month per class, which should not be a problem, that may help schools
adopt OLPC and broadband with barriers lowered enough to take computing
power to every household as children take their OLPC tablet home.

That will be affordable and a complete solution.

--
Satish Jha
T: 301 841 7422