[Grassroots-l] OLPC/Sugar Contributors Program Mtg (NOW! on #olpc-meeting, 4PM Boston Time, Friday)

Holt holt at laptop.org
Fri Apr 16 15:59:28 EDT 2010

Please all join us right now reviewing the latest OLPC/Sugar community
projects over IRC Live Chat:
http://forum.laptop.org/chat

Then type at bottom:
/join #olpc-meeting

AGENDA:

* XO-1.5 early production machines now available & shipping:

http://blog.laptop.org/2010/02/25/xo-1-5-early-production-laptops-free-to-contributors-worldwide/

* Fast Review of the 4 latest (greatest!) HW/Project Proposals -- please
  join us advocating for, and/or reviewing shortcomings of these proposals:

 1. Toaster Activity & OLPC-SF - San Francisco, California
 2. Project Rwanda - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
 3. Powerd on XO 1.5 C2 - San Francisco, California
 4. Across the Seas-IRIE Project - Uganda / New York

* Which projects might you enjoy Mentoring below?!
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects
  http://rt.laptop.org/Search/Results.html?Query=Queue=%27contributors%27

* New projects & libraries -- teaching them Community Outreach:
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Laptop_Lending_Libraries

* Meeting results will be posted here very shortly:
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Contributors_program/meetings

1. Toaster Activity & OLPC-SF - San Francisco, California
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=61094
   http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Toaster
   [SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 3 XO-1.5s over 12 months

   Project Objectives:

   This activity is intended to do two things:
   1. Create USB sticks (such as Sugar on a Stick)
   2. Create a CD or DVD disc from an .iso image if the necessary
      hardware is available

   The goal is to allow any XO user or anyone walking up to an XO in
book mode to
   select and create a bootable USB stick or disc.

   For CD burning this amounts to a simple graphical interface to this
   command line:

   sudo wodim dev=3D/dev/sdrw -tao driveropts=3Dburnfree -v -data
   ~/toaster/soas-2-blueberry.iso speed=16

   Testing will prove that toaster is useful for
~/toaster/soas-2-boot.iso and
   other .iso images of Linux distributions and open source software CDs
such
   as Software Freedom Day. http://softwarefreedomday.org

2. Project Rwanda - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=61203
   [SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 4 XOs over 1.5 months

   Project Objectives:
   As a group, we would be using the laptops as a means to get children
excited
   about education. The specific "activities" on the XO laptop would be the
   focus of our class. Our goals are to promote creativity,
colloboration and
   sustainability. Our choice of programs, such as the Tam Tam Jam, Record,
   Scratch and eToys, will be the focus for creativity and we will be
teaching
   the children how create music, programs, website, design etc.While
creating
   we also want to highlight the tools that will help the children
colloborate,
   the focus of our end presentation will be collaborative through group
   presentations. Lastly we wish to use the laptops and to set up
Pen-pals so
   that once we leave Rwanda we can still mentor the children as a means of
   documentation of how the children have taken what we have taught them as
   well as sustaining a deep relationship with the children.

3. Powerd on XO 1.5 C2 - San Francisco, California
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=61243
   [SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 1 XO-1.5 C2 over 6 months

   Project Objectives:
   Gather logs on XO 1.5 C2 or beyond for powerd

4. Across the Seas-IRIE Project - Uganda / New York
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=61311
   [SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 11 XOs over 6 months

   Project Objectives:
   * Collaborate with Uganda contacts at Teach and Tour program to
establish deployments of XO computers in Kampala, Uganda. This will be
done on a step by step basis and started on this initial journey.
   * Introduce college professors, particularly in the education
departments in Kampala, Uganda to the XO capabilities. Run "Train the
Trainer" workshops so that they may create projects for prospective
teachers in the use of these machines in their future classrooms.
   * Help to establish outreach programs for prospective teachers to
work with primary students and the XO computers.
   * Investigate the engagement of high school students to act as
mentors to primary students in the use of XO computers.
   * Using the Blackboard (Content Management System) connection at
Dominican College, continue the education process and relationship
building via distance education. Graduate students, under my direction,
at Dominican College will communicate and collaborate with those in
Kampala. Video production, a major component of the Dominican's graduate
EdMedia program, will be used for demonstrations and Blackboard will be
used for content, lesson planning, advisement and discussions.