[Grassroots-l] OLPC at Google NYC Geo-Hackathon

Nicholas Doiron ndoiron at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Nov 5 13:19:26 EST 2009

Hi OLPC-Grassroots,

I'm an engineering student doing some volunteer programming for Hello
Laptop, Hello World and the OLPC project as a whole.

Google announced a "Geo Hackathon" session at their NYC office on Nov.
20th (day before the planned OLPC/Sugar summit!).  I hope to represent the
new Map Activity and get advice on a larger activity that I'm working on,
related to Citizen Science.

For those not familiar with the concept, citizen science projects such as
Cornell's Urban Birds ( http://www.birds.cornell.edu/celebration/ ) and U.
Carolina's Project Budburst (
http://www.windows.ucar.edu/citizen_science/budburst/resources.php ) rely
on amateur scientists to report their observations to determine
big-picture trends in biology and climatology.  It's an ideal real-world
project for science classes, and each XO laptop, urban or rural-located,
has the tools to take part.

If you can attend the 11/20 event and would be interested in working on
this science & mapping project, please let me know soon so you can
register for the Google event.

Regards,
Nick Doiron
Student, Carnegie Mellon University