[Grassroots-l] A little homework

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 14:24:31 EDT 2009

Amateur astronomers asked to help professionals

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

 GLOBE at Night: Help Track Light Pollution
Credit & Copyright: Globe at Night Project, UCAR, International Year
of Astronomy 2009

Explanation: How many stars can you see? Through next week, the GLOBE
at Night project invites people from all over the world to go outside
at night, look up, and see! Specifically, people are invited to go out
an hour after sunset and look for the constellation Orion toward the
west. Rather than count Orion's stars directly, however, the GLOBE at
Night website has made things easier by providing several star charts
to which you can compare your view of Orion. Possible matches extend
from a bright sky where only a few Orion stars are visible, to a very
dark sky where over 100 Orion stars are visible. Pictured above are
results from last year's sky observation campaign. Since 2009 is the
International Year of Astronomy, it is hoped that an even better map
can be created this year. By participating in this easy and fun
activity, you are helping humanity to better understand how light
pollution is changing across the Earth.

And Children are my nation.
http://earthtreasury.net/ (Edward Mokurai Cherlin)