[Grassroots-l] Pratham Books in Nepal

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Thu Jul 30 01:03:15 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 11:03 PM, Rabi Karmacharya<rabi at olenepal.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 7:50 AM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Rabi Karmacharya<rabi at olenepal.org>
>> wrote:
>> > The books (and many more) can be accessed by children at the OLPC pilot
>> > schools in Nepal through the e-library that OLE Nepal has created. The
>> > e-library is hosted in school servers in each pilot school, and is
>> > updated
>> > regularly. The e-library can also be accessed on the Internet at
>> > www.pustakalaya.org (pustakalaya is library in Nepali). The e-library
>> > was
>> > launched in February 2009, and OLE Nepal continues its efforts to expand
>> > the
>> > content by contacting various organizations, publishers and writers to
>> > make
>> > their works available to children all over the world.
>>
>> Rabi,
>>
>> That look great!
>>
>> What are you using for a content management system? I am interested in
>> setting up library.sugalabs.org for testing and then creating some
>> wiki pages so deployments can benefit from your work.
>>
>> david
>
> David.
>
> Our pustakalaya is built on Fedora Commons with Fez in the front end. It is
> a relatively static library, and we do not have the facilities for teachers,
> students, and users to upload their works in the library. Right now all the
> uploading and management is done by the staff at OLE Nepal.
>
> Our primary goal was to create a repository of education materials (books,
> videos, maps, etc) that children can access easily at their schools. As you
> may know, there is a dearth of such materials in many parts of Nepal, and
> teachers and students have barely any reading materials outside of their
> course books. We do plan to add rating and uploading facilities in future,
> but right now, our focus is on adding more content to expand our
> collections.
>
> You can direct technical questions to our library system developer, Sulochan
> (cc'ed above).
>
> Cheers.
> -Rabi

Hello Sulochan. Nice to meet you!

Last week DSD added some interesting thoughts to a discussion we were
having on updating activities.

Currently, on a project level, we are using activities.sugarlabs.org
as a central repository for activities. I think we will also host
content there.  The software for a.sl.o will not scale down enough to
run on school.  I am wondering if you think that it would be valuable
for Sugar Labs to leverage your work and make system such as
pustakalaya available as a resource for all deployments.

thanks
david