[Grassroots-l] Ongoing grassroots campaign at OLPC-Sur

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Wed Jan 14 20:34:42 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Sebastian Silva
<sebastian at fuentelibre.org> wrote:
> Fellow Grassroots Volunteers:
>
> A vote is going on *right now* regarding the following proposal, which
> I human-translated because I think its important. Also, some of you
> may be subscribers at OLPC-Sur and thus have received a ballot. I'll
> quote Yama on that one:
>
> "Please vote! If you haven't voted because you disagree, vote negative!
>
> If you think it does not correspond you, whether because you don't
> want to hear from OLPC anymore, or
> are a foreigner, or don't live in Latinamerica, plese, vote "abstention"!"
>
> The ballot has a subject that says:
> "CIVS Poll now available for voting: Definir OLPC Latinoamérica"
> Make sure it didnt go into your junk mail if you're subscribed.
>
> Here's the proposal:
>
> "To present a united front before Nicholas Negroponte and Rodrigo
> Arboleda to achieve   the participation of the OLPC Latin America
> Community in decisions affecting the work of OLPC in Latinamerica."
>
> "A clear position in favor of Free Software as an integral and
> exclusive part of this educational project."
>
> "I personally commit to support this position in the community,
> locally, nationally, in the Sur list, and other forums."
>
> "Provisionally, and until we the community can decide for an
> alternative, but in no event past the 28th of february of 2009, I
> support Yamandú Ploskonka acting as representative of the OLPC Latin
> America community for these ends. This nomination and other positions
> hereby indicated must be confirmed by majority vote of the latin
> american community at the Sur list."
>
> I urge you to vote. Let's not be monkeys.
>
> Sebastian
>
> --
> Sebastian Silva
> Laboratorios FuenteLibre
> http://blog.sebastiansilva.com/

Something to keep in mind is that OLPC has combined Caribbean and
Latin America into one category. This places countries like Jamaica in
the same category as say, Peru. The Jamaicans say this usually means
that the English-speaking Caribbean will probably get ignored in favor
of Latin America. I've heard this enough number of times from
Jamaicans to not ignore it.

Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.