[Grassroots-l] [Olpc-open] OLPCorps : a summer grant program for student initiatives?

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Feb 24 22:33:02 EST 2009

Samuel Klein wrote:
> I see as many clever high school as
> university students, who need similarly grand projects to aspire to...
> and until children /with/ XOs can't propose their own, our meta-"view
> source" key isn't working properly.

1. I find this sentence impenetrable, and potentially somewhat surprising.

2. The entire text seems to be written with a subtle implication that the
students in question live in the United States.  For example:

> #  Each team member must have their immunizations.
> # Each team member must hold a valid passport.
> # Each team member is responsible for acquiring a visa, if needed.
>
> Teams are given a $10,000 stipend in order to cover operating costs,
like their flight to Rwanda and host country

> A local person, like a teacher, cannot take the place of a student.

I don't think this is the intent, given "students from all fields of study
and nationalities are eligible".  However, the text is confusing, and
should be clarified.  For example:

> #  1 member of each team will participate in a workshop at MIT/OLPC in
Cambridge this October 10-12 (all expenses covered by OLPC).

Does that "all expenses" include a round-trip flight from Nigeria, if the
team is composed of Nigerian university students?  Yes or no, the answer
should be there.

3. Given our emphasis on local control, this program should be advertised
aggressively to high-performing African university students.  Perhaps you
already have a plan for this.

4. What is the purpose of the "workshop at MIT/OLPC in Cambridge" in
October (roughly a month after the end of the internship)?

--Ben