[Grassroots-l] Favorite Projects for XO Development?

Yama Ploskonka yama at netoso.com
Thu Feb 19 13:15:28 EST 2009

Let me quote John Adams "I must study politics and war that my sons may
have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study
mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval
architecture, navigation, commerce, and agriculture, in order to give
their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture,
statuary, tapestry, and porcelain."

Right now we are not ready for Constructivism.

Hopefully the stage of war is over for most of us (scratch that off if
you are you-know-where), but the stage of Industry and Commerce never
yet happened for what we call the Developing World.

Jumping ahead to discovery and arts, or even something as basic as
sharing, criticism, exploration, while very tempting indeed, might
require quite a while, and *it cannot be forced*, by definition.  You
cannot *order* people to be critical thinkers.

Meanwhile we need *relevance* to what is the system now, so we can
change it *as we go*, while having full buy-in.  The whole OLPC project
is doomed because it did not notice that need.  We need Content.  We
need results, objective ones.

Sugar has a chance. It is good if it builds an environment for what
Walter points at, of course, yet we need right now to feed the users
what they can take and feel they need.  I applaud quite a few people
coming to that conclusion recently, getting closer and closer to the
right answers, so in my lifetime I might see kids among my peoples
getting the second stage of what John Adams was listing, and /then/ we
might look for the third.  Yet trying to rush the process will not serve
them much, or the project

Yama, doing his usual rant