[Grassroots-l] [support-gang] NOW: Contributors Program Mtg! (Fri 2PM Boston time, #olpc-meeting)

Christoph Derndorfer e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Aug 9 09:25:52 EDT 2009

Holt schrieb:
> 3. OLPC Bayern Library - Munich/Munchen, Germany
>    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=45454
>    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Bayern (NEEDS REVISING)
>
>    Requests 15 XO's over 18 months
>
>    Project Objectives:
>    Translate the english manuals into a German/understandable version.
>    Examine the look and feel of the laptop and how to provide more
>    useful online help on the laptop for the different target groups (eg.
>    developer, child, teacher, other people...)
>    Test the help and search for improve potential
>    The idea of OLPC is good. To see what potential is possible in
>    technical writer environment we will look on the system and
>    seek to write useful help text for user.

Looking at the on-ticket transcript of Friday's CP meeting I can't
really figure out what was decided regarding this project... "Yes, but
only with a mentor"?

Anyway, I know it's a bit late but personally I'm wondering what the
point of having a separate Bayern library is seeing that OLPC Germany
already has (a) a library (b) a Web site and (c) generally an
established presence in both Germany and Europe. What also strikes me as
interesting is that none of the 4 people listed as team participants
have been active or contributing to the existing OLPC Germany efforts.

Looking at their stated goals they initially also seem to focus on a
German translation of the existing documentation and generally
documention tasks which doesn't necessarily require a laptop, let alone
15 (!).

So IMHO what we should ask for them is why they want to set up a
completely new infrastructure instead of collaborating with OLPC Germany
and rolling their ideas into a joint project which would have a higher
chance of "success".

Just my 2 Nepali Rupees,
Christoph

--