[Grassroots-l] OLPC / Sugar community in China?

Bastien bastienguerry at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 6 04:51:35 EDT 2009

Hi Christoph,

Christoph Derndorfer <e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> I was wondering whether anyone happens to know of any OLPC / Sugar
> community activity happening in China?

I was in China last month and I did a presentation about Sugar (and
other stuff) to the Beijing Linux User Group:

  http://www.slideshare.net/bzg/the-ict-for-education-revolution-hasnt-happened-yet

There I met people working on the Gdium, mainly trying to use it as a
tool for education in remote areas.  They are not using Sugar, they are
using mandriva and a selected set of educational applications, but they
are interested in trying Sugar.  OLPC France plans to continue to work
on the Sugar-for-Gdium issue, and perhaps they'll try Sugar in remote
chinese areas one day.

I also met people from the Beijing Normal University, a university to
train teachers' trainers.  I presented Sugar to them, and they were very
interested.  I gave them 2 USB keys with Soas v1, I hope this will start
a discussion and maybe some deeper testing in some primary schools. BNU
is also running a nice community here: http://sociallearnlab.org, this
can be a place where to let teachers know about Sugar.

> Doing a quick Google search revealed that a small deployment by
> OLPC.Asia was recently started in Sichuan
> (http://www.olpc.asia/en/2009/06/first-olpc-deployment-in-sichuan-china.html)
> but other than that I'm not really aware of any activities in the country.

I didn't know about this, but I will forward this to the people I know
in China, thanks!

> Any pointers and help are much appreciated!

HTH,

--
 Bastien