[Grassroots-l] [sugar] G1G1 Pre-installed Activities Request for Help Testing

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sun Sep 21 20:05:37 EDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 4:41 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 3:06 PM, rihoward1 at gmail.com
>> <rihoward1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Sameer thanks for making the spreadsheet world  editable
>>> By the way how are you defining the following terms:-
>>>
>>> Stability
>>> Performance
>>> Child Utility
>>> Technical Utility
>>> Grown-up utility
>>> Lines of code
>>

>> I'm not. I just pulled out a few items that came to me. Ideally, the
>> Sugar team should be making this list.
>>

>>> Good definitions of these terms noted in the spreadsheet will reduce
>>> ambiguity.
>>
>> Agreed. Like a good data dictionary.
>>
>> Sameer
>> --
>> Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
>> Associate Professor of Information Systems
>> San Francisco State University
>> San Francisco CA 94132 USA
>> http://verma.sfsu.edu/
>> http://opensource.sfsu.edu/
>>

>>> Nothing like ambiguity to cause misunderstanding.

> These are the criteria for inclusion we developed for the original
> G1G1 program... not really knowing the goals for the new campaign, it
> is difficult to know if these are relevant... (From
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Creating_an_activity#Include_your_Activity_in_the_core.3F)
>   1.  Epistemological impact—to what degree does this activity
> positively impact learning? (This is of course the most important
> criteria.)
>   2. Fun—is it fun? engaging?
>   3. Quality—is the activity sufficiently robust in its
> implementation that it will not compromise the integrity or
> supportability of the system? Is the overall quality of the
> implementation adequate to meet our standards? Can the community be
> engaged in the process of testing and "certifying" and maintaining the
> activity?
>   4. Sugarized—to what extent has the activity been integrated into
> Sugar, including UI, Journal, security, internationalization, etc.?
> Does the activity require the folding in of additional libraries and
> resources? (This has impact on robustness—positive and
> negative—support, bloat, and the overall usability, aesthetics, and
> perception of quality of the machine.)
>   5. FOSS—is the activity and all of its dependencies free and open?
>   6. Extensible—is the activity something the community can extend?
> Does it span multiple needs? (And does it have—or the potential of
> having—an upstream community of support?)
>   7. Uniqueness—does the activity add a unique feature to the core?
>   8. Expectations—does the activity meet the expectations of
> (children, teachers, parents, G1G1 audience, etc.)?
>   9. Discoverable—is the core activity discoverable? (This is not to
> say that it shouldn't be hard work to fully exploit the power of an
> activity, but it should have a low barrier to entry.)

> [...]

This list looks fine as a good starting point. The items are broad in
their reach. My list of items in the spreadsheet are only
"example/filler" items. Feel free to throw those out and start afresh.
In fact I would insist that we start afresh :-)

Whatever factors go into the weighted scoring, we should make sure
that we have a good way to quantify the score from something
observable (say, # of outstanding bugs) and not just gut feel.

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.