[Grassroots-l] Software Freedom Day - Sept 20

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 11:03:38 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 17:48, Pia Waugh <greebo at pipka.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Software Freedom Day, the worlds largest outreach project about FOSS,
> digital freedoms and the importance of openness is on in 9 days (sorry for
> the late email!). Considering the goals of OLPC I figured people might be
> interested in getting involved, and potentially using the event to help
> educate people about the openness and FOSS elements of OLPC to students and
> interested parties. The details of the day are here:
>
>  http://softwarefreedomday.org/
>
> And there is no reason why events could be held after the event. We have
> over 450 teams from over 100 countries around the world participating in
> Software Freedom Day.

This will be the Ubuntu DC LoCo's fourth year doing SFD (albeit not exactly
on the right day), and the third at the Takoma Park Folk Festival.  In
addition to being the team contact for the Ubuntu DC LoCo, I'm also involved
with the OLPC Learning Club DC, and HacDC -- a hardware/electronics hacking
group with many Free Software advocates.  I invited them to join us at the
Takoma Park Folk Festival. So, this year, there will be three tech tables
instead of just one.

Together we're adding "Folk Tech-ery" ("Folk Geek-ery"?) to the "Folk Music"
and "Folk Art" of the festival. ;-)