[Grassroots-l] [svlug] College LUGs in California

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 01:46:18 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 3:56 PM, john_re <john_re at fastmail.us> wrote:
> Hi Larry - I invite you to invite your associated groups to join with
> the BerkeleyTIP-Global meeting.

Thanks. I'll let a few other people know about this. Well, a few
hundred thousand. ^_^ I'm pleased that you have OLPC and Python as
part of the program.

I'm the bid chair to get PyCon 2010 to the Bay Area. Would any of your
people be interested in getting involved? Our main base is BayPIGgies
Python Interest Group, which meets monthly at Google.

> Schedule a meeting during the time of
> the BTG meeting, and your groups could all get together through IRC,
> VOIP & webcam.  By scheduling your groups meeting during the time of the
> BTG meeting (1st Saturday each month, simultaneous worldwide, 10AM-6PM
> PDST) your groups attendees would have access to the content & community
> of BerkeleyTIP Global - Talks, Installfest (Local Potluck) &
> ProgrammingParty.
>
> Everyone is invited to sign up for the mailing list at
> http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIPGlobal
>
> I hope you & your groups members can join us.  Email the
> BerkeleyTIP-GLobal mailing list telling us of your plans & efforts, &
> you'll get some additional exposure.
>
> This coming Saturday September 6 is our first Global-USA meeting.  Main
> goal for this meeting is getting IRC up between meetings, then working
> on getting VOIP going.
>
> I'm about to get out the announcement to SFBA LUGs shortly.
>
> Set up some local meetings & join us online, or, if it's too short of
> notice to set up meetings, just join us on IRC to take a small, easy
> step toward getting your local meeting going.
>
> Or, come up to the Berkeley local meeting.
>
> Hope you can join with us.  :)
>

> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 00:40:43 -0000 (UTC), lcafiero at sdf.lonestar.org
> said:
>> Hey, all --
>>
>> Joe Smith (of Chapman College in Orange) and I (of Cabrillo College in
>> Aptos) are in the process of forming a coalition of college LUGs
>> throughout California. This coalition is open to LUGs at community
>> colleges, CSU/UC campuses and private colleges in the state (and there is
>> discussion about involving non-campus LUGs in the future as well).
>>
>> Among other things, this coalition
>>
>> -- Aims to coordinate activities between college LUGs in California;
>>
>> -- Plans to share resources (both physical and mental) between college
>> LUGs in the state to promote the common establishment and use of
>> Free/Open
>> Source Software on campus
>>
>> -- Plans to focus efforts within the LUGs to help not only the the
>> colleges but also their surrounding communities in promoting the use of
>> Free/Open Source Software;
>>
>> -- Assists other campuses in California which do not yet have a Linux
>> Users Group on campus; and
>>
>> -- Coordinates activities between FOSS developers and programs and
>> college
>> LUGs around releases of updates and/or new programs.

Silent Thunder [ 默雷 / शब्दगर्ज / شبدگر ج ] is my name,
And Children are my nation.
The Six Worlds are my dwelling place,
And Truth my destination.