[Grassroots-l] [IAEP] Flash-->Gnash

Seth Woodworth seth at laptop.org
Mon Oct 20 02:39:47 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 2:16 AM, Charbax <charbax at charbax.com> wrote:

> Sorry about the downtime guys, I will move olpc.tv to a new server that
> works. The new DNS propagation should be completed by tomorrow. Hopefully I
> can copy over the database with the previous hundreds of video posts
> smoothly over.
> And I will spend a few hours to do a whole bunch of manual updates to add
> the last few months worth of videos.
>

> But I think that the long term solution would be a way for all visitors to
> contribute new videos, sort of like a Youtube and a participatory aggregator
> for OLPC fans and OLPC users.

I would love to see this be able to be done as a collaborative process.  I
think that it could be done pretty simply in a couple ways.

1.) a form that allows visitors to submit url's to youtube, revver,
dailmotion or other video sites.  The submissions would go out to a list of
moderators for review.  The Mod's would be user's in your blog software and
simply post a new entry with that video.

Then perhaps there could be an open system for adding meta-data/ tags.  None
of this would be terribly hard.

I would be more than willing to help you set it up and get it running.

> So sure, if there is an automatic and legal way to convert using
> dailymotion so that it works on the olpc then great. But I would hope that
> also somehow Gnash or whatever flash player on the XO-1 can be made to
> support all the flash videos and other web video formats natively.

I'm not sure.  I *think* that I can grant users moderator access to add
videos to the 'olpc' group, which contains kid-friendly content and is used
to populate the embedded-ogg olpc.dailymotion.com.  But I don't know if
that's a preferred method.

Dailymotion has been very friendly to OLPC and would likely be open to
suggestions.  What do you have in mind?

--Seth