[Grassroots-l] localization of the keyboard in the context of the G1G1EU

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Nov 21 06:23:02 EST 2008

On 21.11.2008, at 12:06, Holger Levsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Friday 21 November 2008 08:52, s.boutayeb at free.fr wrote:
>> - a group buy of a specially manufactured keyboard with a localized
>> keymap.
>> This new keyboard should be installed by the local grassroots /
>> repair
>> centers in each target country
>
> is that the same as getting an order of 10000 laptops with localised
> keyboards
> manufactured?
>
> That is what olpc.de is currently thinking about. Luckily for us, we
> can try
> to reach this number with the austrians, as we share the same keyboard
> layout.

That only refers to a keyboard module. Something like this I'd imagine:

http://www.ilovemyxo.com/product/xo-replacement-keyboard.html

The problem is still to get the new layout manufactured.

I'd be interested in the actual setup cost, not in the amortized cost,
which is where the 10,000 figure comes from. It should be considerably
lower for a new keyboard only, because it would exclude the change and
testing of the manufacturing data per keyboard.

- Bert -