[Grassroots-l] OLPC grassroots events in June

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Sun May 18 23:23:09 EDT 2008

For experienced hackers: You almost certainly don't need to read the
rest of this email, since you'll work on things you find interesting
with or without additional encouragement. ;)

For "newbies":

Now. I know the bootcamp prerequisites may look daunting to some people,
but I would personally love to have enthusiastic newcomers attend.
(Oftentimes the people who don't think they can do something end up
being the best teachers of that something once they *do* learn how to do
it and realize it's not as hard as they though it was.)

If you're willing to put in the time and energy to learn some new and
difficult things rapidly, I and others would love to work with you to
get your application prerequisites ready so you can fully participate.
Heck, I'll be learning some of these things myself (I haven't really
used pootle before, for example). Even if you can't physically attend
the bootcamp but still want to learn these things, THAT'S GREAT! Join us
in the learning!

The point of the bootcamp is to get people to be comfortable teaching
themselves more and to be comfortable teaching other people more -
including teaching them how to teach themselves more. (How's that for
many layers of meta?) Wiki usage isn't that hard to learn. Neither is
programming. I used to think so on both counts - it isn't, though - really!

So if you're willing to dive into the deep end, we'd love to have you
apply. Let me know and we can get you started - post your name in the
study groups section on the wiki:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talk:Grassroots_bootcamp/Prerequisites#Study_groups
(if you're reading this message and don't know how to use the wiki,
email back - we can teach you that too if you're willing to put in the
effort.)

-Mel