[Grassroots-l] repairing/recycling centre model in Leiden, the Netherlands, Europe

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Mon Mar 17 13:57:56 EDT 2008

The following is my understanding of the situation, but I don't know
more than you do. ;)

> - no spare can be ordered yet

There are RMA'd machines that are available, but scarce (compared to
total # of laptops "in the wild.") Contacting Adam Holt (holt at laptop
dot org) is the best way to find out and (hopefully eventually) get
some. A longer-term solution for more consistently getting parts is
being worked out.

> - different parts fail / get broken.

With different frequencies, though - ripped/sticky keyboards are more
common than, say, antennae snapping off.

> - parts are exchangable

Between XOs, yes.

> My environment:

Thanks for writing a proposal! I've posted this on
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Europe/Repairing for easier public access
(if you've posted it before, feel free to move/delete it. :)

-Mel