[Grassroots-l] Content workflow (was Re: Fwd: OLPC - Ethiopia Implementation Report - Relevance in Nigeria.)

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 00:59:25 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 8:13 AM, Seth Woodworth <seth at isforinsects.com> wrote:
> Ed, please forward this message back to any of the lists that I am not a
> member of if you see fit.

Done. I added a few. For the benefit of everyone who hasn't seen the
earlier parts of this and the related discussions, there are some
links below. We have been discussing in several different threads how
to take the One Laptop Per Child program to the next level.

The way existing curricula fit together makes sense to historians, but
not to children. We have to tear the curriculum apart and rebuild it
from first principles, working out the relationships and viable
sequences of the fundamental ideas and how to represent them for
students of different ages, and then putting everything back together:
curriculum, lesson plans of a very new kind, interactive "textbooks",
and especially teacher training. Then we test it all in the classroom
and do it again, and again, until it starts to cohere, and we can
leave chunks in place for a time while we work on the puzzling bits.

> Pam,
>
> I like your metaphor of an empty plate.  The XO is a great mechanism, with
> incredible tools, discoverable information, and many other things, but it
> would be best if it were full of mental 'food' as well.  Why is there so
> little? How are we to get content?  How is this to be done?
>
> This isn't a question that only one person can answer.  This is a question
> that needs to be answered by a group, ideally as large as a group as
> possible.

I maintain that this is a large research program that could absorb all
of the energies available from schools of education, subject matter
experts, the teaching profession, children, and parents for the
foreseeable future. We are talking about the underpinnings of the
entire intellectual and cultural heritage of humankind. We are talking
about the nature of knowledge and ignorance, of truth, of belief, of
reality, and of ethics, all intimately intertwined.

>I have been on a work flow, explaining all of the various steps
> required to get content on the XO.  Either pre-existing content, or newly
> created content, there are more steps involved in a 'bundle's creation than
> merely packaging.
>
> The complete workflow involves licensing issues, cleaning up and
> reformatting, and of course complete translation and localization.  But more
> importantly a complete workflow would involve the structures for volunteers
> to do any given task, or a team of volunteers that processes a certain type
> of request as they happen.  For instance, a larger translation team that is
> notified when a new content bundle is added to the queue.
>
> But volunteers need to understand a task before they can volunteer for it,
> and they must have some sort of structure to get tasks and upload finished
> material.  This entire interface can be created on OLPC's wiki, and it has
> been started.  But I am only one person and I would love to have help
> finishing this structure.  Or volunteers to test this structure, or
> materials to test this structure with.
>
> If anyone is interested in helping make it easier to contribute to OLPC
> please see http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Content_workflow and let's create
> something.  Questions comments or concerns?  Please mail seth at laptop.org

There has been a related discussion under the subjects

[IAEP] Lesson plans needed
http://lists.lo-res.org/pipermail/its.an.education.project/2008-July/001180.html

What is a Lesson Plan
http://lists.lo-res.org/pipermail/its.an.education.project/2008-July/thread.html#1195

where among other things Alan Kay described the workflow for creating
viable Etoys projects for teaching, and we got links to a substantial
body of previous work.