[Grassroots-l] Wiki curator/coordination/organization

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 09:45:49 EST 2008

(Mel - some of your mail was coming in with
"grassroots at lists.laptop.org" as the From: field, and getting hed up
by filters.  passing an old one on below)

All : we're planning a cleanup of the wiki this afternoon, and
preparing for a barnraising on Friday; please join us on irc on
#olpc-content at 1600EST to spruce up old categories, prune old
topics, welcome newvbies and organize the tide of new curators and
project ideas.

Cheers,
SJ

\Mel writes:
---------------------------
Kayti: Please join us!

As far as terminology goes, We used to call them curators
(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Curators) - people explicitly maintaining
some knowledge base, usually linked to another project contributing
content - (and some people still call them curators). No special
qualifications needed, just interest and a willingness to
create/monitor/edit for a reasonable period of time.

But you don't even need to make that level of commitment. (Just random
edits you think would be helpful.) To get started doing wiki cleanup,
you can just launch in and pick a page to redo, or a portal that you
think needs to be built, and start... editing and linking away. Ask
forgiveness, not permission; reverts are simple and painless for
admins to do, and other users can always change things afterwards.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wiki_cleanup has some current overhaul
updates - if you're on the warpath against disorganization, posting
your projects (or cleanup requests) there means other folks can see
and help. #olpc-content is also a good place to grab people (see
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/IRC or use the Chat activity on your XO or
go to http://olpc.osuosl.org/chat and type "/join
#olpc-content" once you log in.)

Hope this helps - folks, holler if you want more to get you started.

We should also schedule a cleanup marathon for some weekend. What are
people doing this coming Sunday afternoon, at say... 4pm EST?