[Grassroots-l] workshop opportunity - chicago area

Chris Brown cmbrown at mac.com
Sat Jan 12 16:04:56 EST 2008

Hi,

I teach at a school - specs below in my signature - where I run a 1:1
laptop program.  For the past 4 years we have had 450 students and 80
faculty with their own iBooks.

This past week I have been showing my xo to some teachers as I go
around and do technology professional development. Our teachers are
very interested in the olpc project and it has spurred some fantastic
conversation.

With only one xo it is a little tricky to demonstrate how this is
supposed to work in the participating countries and I have been
encouraged to expand my presentation. This is where posting here
comes in.

On Feb 5, or super tuesday, I have put together and entire day of
teacher technology professional development. Students are out of
school because of the primary. We have a keynote speaker, there are
concurrent sessions, much like any other conference and all is
related to technology.

Would anyone on this list be interested in attending, bringing your
xo, and participating in a presentation showing how the collaborative
technology built into these machines works. I would lead the
presentation and would only expect that you would come with your xo
and allow our teachers to look over your shoulder and watch you
interact with other xo laptops.

I anticipate the time frame being late morning for a few hours -
maybe 10:30-1pm - free lunch is provided and you can sit in on any of
the other sessions that day if you wish.

I believe the major part of our role in having one of these machines
is advocacy for the olpc project. Hopefully a few of you out there
will be able to help pull this off.

Not sure how many are on this list but feel free to repost - I notice
the chipy group is sponsoring/related to this list.

Thanks for your consideration - would be happy to answer any
questions - feel free to email me at cmbrown at mac.com

Chris

Chris Brown
Technology Facilitator and Team Leader