[Grassroots-l] presentation on green computing

Yama Ploskonka yama at netoso.com
Tue Dec 30 10:51:25 EST 2008

Whatever you do or say, _please_ do not add more nonsense about the so
called crank or yo-yo.  Our project is full of hype and often lacking
substance (see the Lennon thread for a discussion on more of that), and
the charging crank and yo-yo are magisterial examples of excellent TV,
world-impacting (anywhere I go people ask me about those), but devoid of
  respect for basic principles of science, that alas, keep us stuck here
lower than the angels.

BTW, if you find what is the carbon footprint of an XO, I would want to
know.  If I get my way the Bolivia deployment will be carbon-negative ASAP.

I did a little bit on solar in my day, see the wiki for XO_Solar. AFAIK
it has the only numbers backed up by actual research on this subject
(you might find around official info which comes from computer simulations)
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Solar

Yama