[Grassroots-l] OLPC at change.org

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 16:54:37 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 15:36, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are supposed to be 100,000 of us in the US, but the OLPC
> resolution at change.org has received a pitiful 7 votes. If we don't
> get ourselves on the national agenda, nobody else will do it for us.
> Do you want your children and grandchildren to have XOs in school?
> Then register and vote!
>
> http://www.change.org/ideas/search?category_id=25418&keyword=olpc&x=0&y=0

Hi,

FYI: As near as I can tell, although change.org is appears at first
glance to be affiliated with Obama's site, they are NOT change.gov and
I don't think they have any capacity to do anything on a national
policy level beyond having the "audacity to hope" that their site will
gain momentum.  That said, it didn't look like they were trying to
scam anyone either.  According to the "About Us" quote from their web
site:

| Change.org is a social entrepreneurship venture based in San Francisco,
| CA. The company was founded by Ben Rattray in the summer of
| 2005, and with the support of a friend from Stanford, Mark Dimas, and
|  a founding team of Darren Haas, Rajiv Gupta, and Adam Cheyer,
| Change.org launched the first version of its site in 2007.

Whois shows it to be registered w/ GoDaddy.com

Registrant:
   Ben Rattray
   709 Douglass St
   San Francisco, CA 94114
   +1.202.253.1288
   ben at change.org

Admin and Tech:
   Darren Haas
   709 Douglass St
   San Francisco, CA 94114
   +1.310.256.7223
   darren at change.org

(Ben's number is a Washington, DC exchange...)