[Grassroots-l] Can OLPC distribution be run as a business?

Sami Gharres sami_gharres at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 28 06:44:50 EDT 2008

All

Apologies in advance for barging in, but I am rather new to this forum
and I have a couple of basic questions I would like to ask if I may.

I was recently in an African country and I was shocked by how few
youngsters have access to computers, primarily because no one could afford them. I came across this OLPC concept and thought about setting
up a distribution and after care network there.

My prime goal is provide a whole generation with a truly affordable
computer but I also need to run this as a business that can generate
revenues and support itself. I believe that a 170 USD laptop is within
the reach of a lot of people there, most of them carry prepay cellphones worth
that much or more. I also have few ideas to subsidize the price further for schools, youth centers etc. I have influential business and technical contacts in that country and I
can get funds to set it up if I can put forward a decent business case.

My question is, does a commercial distribution scheme sound like a
viable idea, is it within the spirit of this scheme? If so, who can I
contact to take this further?

Regards

Sami