[Grassroots-l] Introduction to Kitale efforts

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 01:04:04 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 9:25 PM, Deborah Najm <debnajm at socal.rr.com> wrote:

> Hi,

Welcome.

> I have just joined the group and I would like to introduce myself.  Recently
> I have become involved with 2 schools in Kitale, Kenya. The current donor
> program, begun by my father currently feeds the children their one meal a
> day.  The director of the schools just visited us in Southern California.
> Due to the new outreach we are hoping to expand our aid.

Do your schools have sister schools anywhere? Would you like to set up
an arrangement? This is part of Earth Treasury's mission.

See the catalog of free electronic textbooks at http://www.librarianchick.com/.

> I learned about the OLPC last year and I would like to
> start efforts to get our Yuya Orphanage school and Mois Bridge Academy
> involved.  Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Would your students be able to help with localizing XO software into
Gikuyu or other languages of Kenya? Ethnologue
http://www.ethnologue.org/show_country.asp?name=KE lists the following
languages with a million speakers or more.

* Gikuyu [kik] 5,347,000
* Gusii [guz] 1,582,000
* Kalenjin [kln] 2,458,123
* Kamba [kam] 2,448,300
* Luo [luo] 3,185,000
* Luyia [luy] 3,418,083
* Meru [mer] 1,305,000

The better-known Maasai numbered only 453,000 in Kenya in the 1994
census, apparently the most recent data available.

> The schools are run by www.vbministries.com - I just got their website up
> and running.

It displays very badly in Firefox, with overlapping text blocks and
misaligned graphics. Please validate and correct your pages. On
looking at your page source at
http://www.vbministries.org/outreach.html, I find this invalid
structure:

<head>...
<script>...
</head>...
</script>

I didn't examine the HTML any further.

Your page says that it was created in Yahoo! PageBuilder 2.61.90. If
so, that would be a good reason to stay away from Yahoo! HTML tools.
%-[

> Warmest regards,
>
> Deborah Najm

Edward Cherlin