[Grassroots-l] OLPC Philippines Education Project Announcement

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 00:21:51 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 7:15 PM, Rowen Remis Iral
<rowen_remis_iral at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm currently the Project Manager/Systems Engineer of the project.
>
> OLPC Philippines has its wiki page on http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Philippines
>
> Also the Philippine grassroots group has an official website http://olpcph.multiply.com
>
> We list current updates on these websites and also put some notes on what was happening.

Good to hear from you. What are the special requirements of the
Philippines? Inter-island communication? Language support? What else?

We don't have a Tagalog localization project on Pootle, and I don't
see any mention of Tagalog on your Wiki page or Home page. The link
for the Tagalog translation of the Wiki page is broken. Nor do I see
any mention of other languages of the Philippines. The Tagalog
Language page http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Tagalog_language only talks
about translating a dictionary.

Ethnologue http://www.ethnologue.org/show_country.asp?name=PH lists
the following languages with a million or more speakers in the
Philippines.

* Bicolano, Albay  [bhk] 1,900,907
* Bicolano, Central [bcl] 2,500,000
* Cebuano [ceb] 20,043,502
* Hiligaynon [hil] 7,000,000
* Ilocano [ilo] 8,000,000
* Maguindanao [mdh] 1,000,000
* Pampangan [pam] 1,897,378
* Pangasinan [pag] 1,164,586
* Tagalog [tgl] 14,486,888
* Waray-Waray [war] 2,437,688

Which languages are used in the areas where you plan XO deployments?

Do you have localization teams? Do you need help creating them? I have
set up the localization projects for Haiti (Kreyól) and Cambodia
(Khmer) and recruited localizers, so I can guide administrators and
localizers through the process.

> We are also looking for starting a deployment of units, as soon as the window is open, it would be nice for us to hear from Mel Chua on how we can purchase machines since supporting organizations and donors will be ready soon.

Does that mean you are buying through GiveMany, which is managed by
BrightStar? How many units do you want? The last terms BrightStar
quoted to Earth Treasury were

* Cash in advance
* Delivery date to be set in two months
* Delivery sometime in 2008, that is, within nine months after ordering

This is because OLPC has asked Quantum and its parts suppliers for the
lowest possible prices, which they give to customers who don't demand
set delivery dates.

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/