[Grassroots-l] OLPC efforts in Jamaica?

Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Wed Nov 28 04:12:28 EST 2007

On Nov 28, 2007, at 4:37 AM, Sameer Verma wrote:

> Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
>> Hello Sameer,
>>
>> I just had a look around through wiki.laptop.org and did a quick
>> search via Google, without any results so I'm assuming that there's
>> currently no OLPC action going on in Jamaica!
>>

> Hmm...then maybe we should start one? I was at UWI last year where one

hehe, now *that* seemed always to be the right spirit for me :)

> of the doctoral students presented on a pilot in a remote village
> in the
> mountains north of Kingston. They were experimenting with donated
> desktops and a satellite uplink, I think. Nothing close to what OLPC
> will bring to the picture. I'll find out more and post here.
>
> I did find out about IADB + OLPC agreement
> (http://www.iadb.org/NEWS/articledetail.cfm?artid=3407&language=En)
> but
> there are two foreseeable problems:
> 1) The focus in all the documentation seems to be on Latin America,
> esp.
> Brazil.
> 2) No mention of the English-speaking Caribbean.
>
> Anyone know how to get a pilot going or qualify for one?

hm, I can only talk about how we did it here. On this list we have
and will have more people
who are active in local grassroot groups (romania, etc.) so there
might be more input. I expect many more grassroot groups when the XOs
arrive in the states.

so, here is briefly how we did it in Austria:

1) started a local group
2) get some XOs
3) showed them around and started coding on them
4) had some media reports
5) eventually dropped by at the ministry of education
6) got the basic "OK" for a pilot trial.

voila! very straight and direct.
But I want to suggest that you also read the grassroots page on
wiki.laptop.org.

wiki.laptop.org/go/Grassroots_Organizations