[Grassroots-l] OLPC efforts in Jamaica?

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Tue Nov 27 22:37:49 EST 2007

Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
> Hello Sameer,
>
> I just had a look around through wiki.laptop.org and did a quick
> search via Google, without any results so I'm assuming that there's
> currently no OLPC action going on in Jamaica!

Hmm...then maybe we should start one? I was at UWI last year where one
of the doctoral students presented on a pilot in a remote village in the
mountains north of Kingston. They were experimenting with donated
desktops and a satellite uplink, I think. Nothing close to what OLPC
will bring to the picture. I'll find out more and post here.

I did find out about IADB + OLPC agreement
(http://www.iadb.org/NEWS/articledetail.cfm?artid=3407&language=En) but
there are two foreseeable problems:
1) The focus in all the documentation seems to be on Latin America, esp.
Brazil.
2) No mention of the English-speaking Caribbean.

Anyone know how to get a pilot going or qualify for one?

cheers,
Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.