[OLPC-Games] Play Go issues for laptop

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 04:49:58 EDT 2008

I am a go player and programmer, and I have been involved in PlayGo
from the beginning. I am also the one communicating with AGA about
PlayGo and about our plans for multilingual content for teaching Go.
Some years ago I worked on a multilingual go glossary in Unicode,
adding various writing systems to the ASCII original.

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 9:53 PM, Paul Barchilon <shimari at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hello to all who are working on this project, and thank you for the great
> service you are providing to kids around the world!  I am the Vice President
> of the American Go Foundation, a charitable organization that provides free
> Go equipment to children and teachers in schools.  I spend a great deal of
> time teaching children, and am an active Go player and organizer on the
> national scene.  It has come to my attention that there are a number of
> problems with the Play Go program, and also that a set of rules that are
> appropriate for children may well be needed.
>
> I am not a computer programmer, and do not have one of the laptops, so I
> haven't actually seen the Play Go program at work.

You can download the latest version. I'll get you instructions offline.

> I did ask a child who
> has one, and plays Go, to tell me how it seemed.  He may have an older
> version of the software, but if his observations are correct it sounds like
> there are some serious issues.  I would be very glad to help solve some of
> these problems if you would like some input.  As I said, I can't program,
> but I can tell whoever is writing the software what the problems are.

Thank you.

>  Please feel free to contact me directly at shimari at comcast.net.  If you
> would like a rule set designed for children, please let me know and we will
> be happy to write one for you.

We will be very interested to hear from you on this.

--
Do you play

围棋,圍棋 wei2qi2
위기,圍基 wigi