[OLPC-Games] Te Tuhi Video Game System

Douglas Bagnall douglas at paradise.net.nz
Tue May 27 05:23:31 EDT 2008

Hi,

The Te Tuhi Video Game System (tetuhi for short) looks at drawings of
video games and tries to make them work.  It was originally written
for an art installation, but I have begun adapting it to the XO.  The
latest version, 0.85, runs reliably but still needs tuning and
optimisation.  It is written in Python and C, using pygame and PIL.

The typical play-flow would be that you draw a picture on paper (or
something), hold the XO above it while it takes a picture, then after
watching it think for a while, you play the game, and repeat. This
would work well in tablet mode.

The captured image completely determines the game, so it is naturally
easy to save and share good games although so far there is no
interface for doing this.

The software and exhibit are further explained at
http://halo.gen.nz/tetuhi/.

A tarball is available from
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=217385

and there is a git tree at
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=tetuhi.git

and a quiet mailing list at
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/tetuhi-vgs

You might need to yum install some things -- I have lost track.  In
the 0.85 tarball I have included binary versions of the C modules for
people who find the cross-compiling tricky.

Douglas Bagnall