[OLPC-Games] PyQNet project on Launchpad

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at vrplumber.com
Mon Jul 28 18:44:25 EDT 2008

Noah Kantrowitz wrote:
> Mike C. Fletcher wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Those of you who were at PyCon in Chicago for the OLPC sprint may
>> remember Phil Hassey's impromptu lecture on how to build a networking
>> API [1].  I've been hacking together a preliminary implementation of
>> something like that API and have just moved the project to
>> Launchpad[2] so that other people can play with the code.  It's
>> definitely not finished yet, so if you want to work on something
>> low-level and network-y, feel free to play.
>
> A similarly designed (and much smaller) library is also up at
> https://coderanger.net/svn/school/2007/fall/egd/magnoball/pygamenet.py
> . Also a WiP.
PyQNet is split over 8 modules, but the actual number of code-lines in
the library (excluding the tests) is pretty small (640 incl. comments
and docstrings), pygamenet is around 591 when you take out the
comments.  Though PyQNet is likely to grow substantially once I get all
the features I want implemented.

The difference in size currently is likely because PyQNet is implemented
as UDP with ordering and retry controlled by the Python code instead of
using TCP-level operations.  The UDP operations should allow us to code
adaptations into the library to optimize for low-latency game-y operation.

pygamenet.py seems nice, but it's not really the direction I was looking
to explore.  I don't see a problem with having both libraries under
development.

Have fun,
Mike