[OLPC-Games] Violent games on the OLPC Activities page

Mike Hahn mike at treenimation.net
Fri Jan 18 16:44:11 EST 2008

Hi all,

I feel that someone at OLPC should determine whether every game and every XO
app on the OLPC web site is politically correct. By that I mean that the app
is NOT violent, sexist, homophobic, racist, containing sexual content
inappropriate for kids, or discriminating against those who are marginalized
by society.

As you know, OLPC is a non-profit organization that helps those who are
marginalized (children in developing countries). I used to work for another
non-profit that works with those who are marginalized (low-income people),
and I now do volunteer work there. Both of those organizations need to
"filter out" politically incorrect ideas and behaviour.

This is how I propose to deal with politically incorrect XO apps on the OLPC
web site. All of these apps are linked to on a parallel web site meant just
for these types of XO apps. Somewhere on the main OLPC web site is a link to
this parallel web site, and when clicked on, a warning message pops up
informing the user that he or she is entering politically incorrect
territory, and that he or she may encounter XO apps which are violent,
sexist, homophobic, racist, contain sexual content inappropriate for kids,
or discriminate against those who are marginalized by society.

BTW I myself am to some extent marginalized by society, as I am a person
with mental health issues (depression). My own OLPC-compatible project
(Treenimation) is a game creation system, and I plan to use the same
strategy I have mentioned above to filter out politically incorrect games on
my own www.treenimation.net web site. I am currently having fun learning
Python (I use Delphi in my day job).

Regards,

Mike Hahn