[OLPC-Games] Violent games on the OLPC Activities page

Noah Kantrowitz kantrn at rpi.edu
Thu Jan 17 17:34:30 EST 2008

On Jan 17, 2008, at 5:26 PM, Bryan Berry wrote:

> My only objection is that Doom be on the same page as Squeak, Library,
> Speak, etc. I have no problem with it being on a page that explains
> that
> activities w/ violence are not endorsed by OLPC.

Who picks what is "endorsed" and what isn't? My suggestion would be to
implement something similar to ESRB ratings. I have no problem saying
Doom is a game for mature audiences, nor do I think the authors would
say differently. This is a very different approach to walling off some
activities as unsuitable or otherwise shunned. It is also worth noting
that ESRB ratings are a voluntary thing, game makers allow themselves
to be rated because they think it is the right thing to do (increased
market availability notwithstanding). While I understand violence is a
dicey subject in many parts of the world, would you also propose to
endorse an activity containing a library of artwork with nude figures?
Its a cliche, but this is a very slippery slope. I think drawing lines
in the sand between some activities is counter-productive and far too
error-prone for OLPC to get in to.

--Noah