[OLPC-Games] OLPC in Go newsletter

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 23:27:33 EST 2008

NEWSLETTER FOR GO TEACHERS LAUNCHED: The American Go Foundation has
created a newsletter targeted at go teachers. The "Sensei" newsletter
addresses an audience of "enthusiasts who are teaching go in
after-school programs, at libraries or community centers or during
classroom visits," editor Roy Laird tells the E-Journal, "professional
educators who recognize that go is a valuable classroom enrichment
activity that links naturally to core curriculum content; and anyone
else interested in go instruction." With an estimated 200 active
teaching programs in the US, the AGF hopes the newsletter will enable
this growing community to network with each other. "The intention is
that teachers themselves will provide most of the content," says
Laird. The first issue, published last week, describes the AGF's
partnership with the One Laptop Per Child Project and reports the
results of the AGF's annual program survey. Also featured are several
new resources for teachers, including the AGF Lesson Plan Cooperative
-- a clearinghouse for go-related lesson plans - and the new "Go In
The Classroom" page, which explores the effects of go on cognitive and
personal development. "It's a sort of 'sales pitch' for teachers who
are discovering go for the first time," said Laird. Teachers may also
be interested in 200 Go Puzzles For Beginners created by Paul Smith
for the British Go Association, which Smith recently agreed to allow
the AGA to publish online for the first time. Click here
(http://data.usgo.org/agf/AGFNews1.htm) to view the first issue of

And Children are my nation.