[OLPC-Games] [sugar] PlayGo v2 and v3

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Sun Aug 31 03:47:45 EDT 2008

Andrés Ambrois wrote:
> On Friday 29 August 2008 04:17:01 Simon Schampijer wrote:
>> Hi Andrés,
>>
>> thanks for your work!
>>
>> Ambrois wrote:
>>>   I have put up the xo bundle for PlayGo version 3. I didn't announce v2
>>> cause it was still lacking some features (like scoring at game end),
>>> which it now has.
>>>
>>>   You can find it here: http://dev.laptop.org/~aa/PlayGo/PlayGo-3.xo
>>>
>>>   Here are the Release Notes:
>>>
>>>   v2
>>>      New Features:
>>>         - Cleaner code
>>>         - Save and resume games from Journal
>>>         - Added a toolbar with options to set board size & restart the
>>> game. - Better collaboration (turn enforcement, notifications) - Pass and
>>> Undo in hotseat (not shared) mode.
>>>         - Full Spanish translation
>>>   v3
>>>       New features:
>>>         - Integration with GnuGo (play against AI)
>>>         - Game end after two consecutive passes
>>>         - Scoring under Japanese rules
>>>
>>>   One thing that is lacking is a proper Icon (current one doesn't
>>> correctly change color), hopefully a generous soul will give us a new
>>> kick-ass icon for PlayGo! =P
>> Yeah, maybe eben can have a quick look.
>>
>>>   I would really appreciate testing on the XO because I don't have one.
>> Some breakfast notes:
>> - when i resume a 9x9 game the tokens are squares no circles resuming
>> the other games seem to work fine
>
>   Yes, this bug is fixed in the git. With the recent Journal breakage
> (modalalert import error) I couldn't test it much. This bug was also triggered
> by #7904.
>
>> - the reset game button maybe eben has an idea here (memorize uses one
>> that is game specific, maybe we could have a general one)
>
>   Sure, a common game restart icon should add consistency.

I think best you file a ticket for the component 'interface-design'
otherwise the idea gets lost.

>> - is the 'You need to install gnugo...' a conditional message that
>> changes or goes away when gnugo is installed?
>
>   Right, it checks wether gnugo is on the PATH at startup and enables or
> disables that toggle button. So it should be yum install gnugo and you're
> ready to go.

Hmm these dependency issues in general need to be solved at one point.
Ideally gnugo should be installed with playgo.

>> For the missing xo, maybe you want to apply for one at
>> http://projectdb.olpc.at/
>
>   I'm on the DB. However I didn't apply for a project cause 'Developing an
> activity and do some general tinkering and hacking' didn't sound like a
> project that would get approved :).

Oh I think it is worth it. You should apply. Having reliable maintainers
of an activity is worth an xo in my opinion.

Best,
    Simon