[OLPC-Games] Physics Game Jam - duties + conference call Tuesday Aug 19 4:30pm EST

Brian Jordan brian at laptop.org
Mon Aug 18 01:15:44 EDT 2008

Hey physics game jam crew!

We will be having a conference call at 4:30pm EST on Tuesday, August
19 to discuss the Physics Game Jam.

Call-in number : 1-972-684-9752
      access code : 6174525660#

AGENDA:
1. Pre-jam duties. If I have you down for something and you won't be
able to do it, reply as soon as possible so we can figure something
out.

Nirav Patel: Attending in-person?
- Vision processing (/with physics) templates
    A simple activity template for jammers to build their games off
of. Should either include all necessary libraries in-activity or have
explicit library installation instructions. .zip and git repository
access would be ideal
- Vision processing talk (in-person or conference call + slides?)
    An oooh-this-is-fun demo and discussion of using vision processing
templates as a starting point for games

Eric Jordan: Attending in-person
- Box2D/pybox2d talk
    A brief overview of the history of Box2D and how to develop
interactive physics scenes using it.

Alex Levenson: Attending online
- Physics (pybox2d?/elements?) template
   A simple activity template for jammers to start building their
games with. Should include keyboard, gamebuttons and mouse input.
- x2o talk (conference call + Brian-run-demo + slides?)
    oooh-this-is-fun demo of x2o and discussion of how to develop good
levels for x2o (and how to distribute those levels)

SJ Klein: Attending in-person
- Intro to the OLPC project / ice breakers w/ Brian

Daniel Drake: Attending in-person [still hungover from Aug. 25 birthday]
- Git tutorial (with Brian)
    How to set up and update a project using git (having attendees
clone the template projects, set up repos [we need to figure this one
out] and push their work)

Bobby Powers: Attending in-person (?)
- Sugar talk or roving help (on Saturday or Sunday?)
    UI design, proper activity versioning

Mel Chua: Attending in-person?
- List of 07 Jam attendees / contact info?
- How did we get mainstream media coverage for the 07 Game Jam? Was
that via Olin or OLPC?

Seth Woodworth: Attending in-person
- Making Wiki pages for activities talk or roving help (Sunday?)
    Making proper wiki activity pages for activities with screenshots,
XO bundles (if they're done), and collecting a contact point from each
team for further activity cleanup / involvement

Henry Hardy: Attending?
- We need to figure out how we can set up activity repositories for
the teams on Friday (without having to bother you too much)

2. Jam advertising / (spam? :-P)

Who can help to do this?

Places we've contacted:
Slashdot (brian)
Box2d Forums (eric)
Pygame mailing list (brian)
OLPC lists (brian)
OLPC News (brian/cristoph)
Fun-motion.com (brian)
processing.org events forum (brian)
pulpcore google group (brian)

Places we should really contact:
Mainstream media
Boston-area game developers (indie and professional)
Video producers
People outside of 1CC to also have jam responsibilities!

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Physics_Jam/To_contact

3. Jam swag + prizes

Who can help to contact places?

Places we've contacted:
xoexplosion (brian, they are happy to donate + want SVG for jam-specific swag!)
ilovemyxo (brian, they hare happy to donate)
M-Audio (brian, waiting to hear back... crosses fingers for MIDI
keyboard for musicians at jam or as prize)

Places we should contact:
Wacom / tablet manufacturers (a staple of art creation for game jams)
Other MIDI keyboard manufacturers
Game/game dev events
Game companies

4. Jam logistics
- Hash out schedule http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Physics_Jam/Schedule
- Available information cleanup http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Physics_Jam
- 1CC space arrangement + remote participants
    Possibility for audio streaming?
    Integrating with IRC
- Getting food

Sorry for the long email, these things need to be addressed. Thanks
for your help, and talk to you on Tuesday.

Cheers
Brian