[OLPC-Games] New Game Activities: COBBLE, Space Tag and Cell Management

Mark Goadrich mark.goadrich at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 18:10:56 EDT 2008

Hello,

My student Nolan Baker and I have been developing three educational games
(COBBLE, Space Tag and Cell Management) in Sugar this summer, and we would
love to have your feedback on their alpha and beta versions.  We've posted
links to the .xo files on the main Activities page and have a wiki page for
each game.

COBBLE

COBBLE stands for COllaBorative Board game Learning Environment.  COBBLE can
be seen as a game system, where we provide the pieces, and you provide the
rules. Our goal is to make COBBLE as flexible as possible, so that users can
play any game just by interacting with the objects and chatting about the
rules in the chatbox. Currently working are the Die, which can be created
and rolled.  Cobble is in the alpha stage, more will be updated soon.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/COBBLE

Space Tag

Space Tag is a fast paced, action packed, playground thriller that's out of
this world. Immerse yourself and a few of your buddies (after all, sharing
is important) in an overhead pseudo 3D world filled with fuzzy physics.
This was educational for us to learn about incorporating mesh into a game,
and hopefully educational for students to read the code and learn about
forces in physics.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Space_Tag

Cell Management

Our first game, to learn about development with Sugar.  Aliens have abducted
6 species from Earth, and your goal is to coordinate their efforts to
escape. This game is based on regulatory networks found in RNA and DNA
transcription and translation. The full rules for Cell Management can be
found at http://www.piecepack.org/rules/CellManagement.pdf

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Cell_Management

Thanks for your comments, hope you find them fun and useful.

Mark Goadrich