[OLPC-Games] Wordsmith ( Scrabble ) :GSoC application

Prabhas Pokharel motudai at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 13:41:36 EDT 2008

First, the script that Hindi is written in is called "Devnagari," and also
used by other langauges (including Marathi according to Wikipedia).

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Joshua N Pritikin <jpritikin at pobox.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 01:34:26PM -0700, Edward Cherlin wrote:
> > > However,  i am yet to find any implementation of scrabble in Hindi. I
> think
> > > Hindi would be a too complicated to implement but would ask some hindi
> > > professors i know for confirmations.
> >
> > Google finds nothing.
>
> I lived in India for 6 years. I have seen crossword puzzles in
> Marathi. If Marathi is possible then any of the Indic languages are
> possible. Maybe you won't find Scrabble because Scrabble is not a
> popular game in India.

Scrabble and crossworld puzzles aren't quite the same thing. The deal with
crossword puzzles is that you only need to put in the exact glyphs that are
in the crossword puzzle, whereas scrabble will have to have every single
one. In Nepali, the number of devnagari letters we use (vowel+consonant)
 is 36 * 12 + c where c > 0, for some "extra characters."

To illustrate what I am saying: in a crossword puzzle that has the word
होली, you can just use other words that utilize हो but not any of the other
vowel conjugates of ह, ie हा हि ही हु हू हो हौ हे है हं ह: . In scrabble,
you'd need to provide all of these as tiles that one could use. The set of
words in crossword puzzles is limited, and therefore the set of glyphs used,
much smaller than the number I listed above.

And there is still the issue of half letters. ie. words like कुर्ता (क  ु र्
त ा) चिन्ह (ि  च  न् ह  or  च  ि  न् ह )?

-prabhas