[OLPC-Games] Game templates wiki page

Mike Hahn mike at treenimation.net
Fri Oct 12 00:25:00 EDT 2007

Hi Clare,

I have taken a different approach to the problem of enabling XO users to
create their own games. Using my Treenimation software tool (
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Treenimation ), and its built-in scripting
language called Treescript, XO users can create all sorts of games. You can
even use Treenimation to create drag-and-drop board games, without doing any
coding. And a context-sensitive popup menu of valid code choices is always
just a keystroke away, by typing a question mark (?) while editing
Treescript code.

The question mark feature works best in prefix mode (the default), in which
operators always precede their operand(s). With infix mode, binary operators
go in between their operands, and the code is more similar to Python or
Java. So Treescript can be used as a stepping stone towards learning Python
programming, by starting them off in prefix mode and then later switching to
infix. Just as your Game Templates idea helps XO users learn Python and game
programming.

Regards,

Mike Hahn
www.treenimation.net