[OLPC-Games] Reducing pygame cpu-load to < 4 %

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Sun Dec 9 18:16:23 EST 2007

Hi,

   > Hi!  Mcfletch and I have been talking about the heavy cpu-load of
   > the wiki's pygame demo: 99%; and how to reduce it.

   > We figured out, a combination of pygame.event.wait() and
   > pygame.event.get() very good. That's the demo code; it takes less
   > than 4% cpu (0.3% - 1.7% here):

That's cool.  Note that this won't work for any pygame activity that
wants to do something in the background, though, such as the examples
that Pippy now ships with[1] -- you'll now only enter the event loop
when a keypress happens, even if you've set up a default case to move
something around when there isn't new input to handle.

- Chris.

[1]:  http://dev.laptop.org/~cjb/pippy/Pippy-11.xo , with thanks to
      Henry Holtzman for the new pygame examples.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>