[OLPC-Games] Game Proposal: Gerbil Liberation Front

Todd Kelsey tekelsey at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 21:28:32 EDT 2007

GLF was my joke on the music industry, after being with a band called Sister
Soleil. (never had a hit radio single, but did some cool music.) There's
some odd videos of the lead singer of Soleil on youtube) The biggest gig we
did was with everclear, 14,000 people, but the coolest gig was later that
night for 9 kids in a youth shelter. Peter gabriel did a cameo on one tune-I
can send an mp3 for interested parties.

So GLF did some tunes, got a really good comic book artist to do some line
art, music got airplay on college and underground radio etc. Didn't make any
money, was just a joke. (The most wonderful thing was when I was able to
wear a GLF t-shirt on techtv when I was doing a segment on blue screen
technology. There's a link to the G4/TechTV appearance from
www.toddkelsey.com <http://www.toddkelsey.com/> )

For anyone who wants to see, the video that got a lot of airplay is in .ogg
format here: www.friendlylanguage.com/glf.htm -- it's like toontzes the cat
except a gerbil is driving a Ferrari. There's also a spinaltapesque,
montypythonesque flash-based music video here: www.toddkelsey.com/glf

Anway, Gerbil Liberation Front is entirely ridiculous, high-pitched vocals,
sort of industrial metal meets hip hop meets, uh, Devo? Or something? Maybe
Guar?

But for whatever reason, kids really like it. Like they like to sing along
with it. Which is scary.

So I'd love to try to get the .ogg video on the library somehow.

But better yet, a monty pythonesque game where kids in the developing world
get to take on the role of gerbils in the gerbil liberation front, on a
quest to south Dakota for sunflower seeds?

There is a site, hasn't been updated in awhile, but there are two GLF mp3's
on there. I don't think I ever made a myspace page but I guess I should.
www.gerbilfront.com <http://www.gerbilfront.com/>

So the whole thing is a joke, and I guess this email is a joke too - but the
last time the joke was told it was kind of fun to see what happened. I guess
there are more important games to develop, but if anyone develops interest,
let me know. The comic book artist is actually really good. He's making the
big bucks now doing Marvel covers. http://www.myspace.com/brazart - No way I
could afford him for more art but the line art I do have could be adapted.
He was just some dude who sent in a picture he drew of Stella, lead singer
of the band when we were on the road (she was/is "hot"), I saw the art, I
was like wow this guy is good, and he drew some gerbils for me.