[OLPC-Games] Olpcgames breakage and request for volunteers

Lincoln Quirk lincoln at techhouse.org
Fri Aug 24 18:47:21 EDT 2007

Folks,

There's been breakage in the olpcgames wrapper. I'm not sure exactly
which build it stopped working in, but existing games won't work on the
new development builds. The reason is a change in the Sugar API on which
olpcgames depended (removing the 'units' module on 2007-07-31).

I've committed a new version of olpcgames, and to get it working, your
activity can use this.

However: I'd like to take this opportunity to wean people off the
embedded 'olpcgames' package into a system-wide package, so that we can
deal with problems like this better in the future. (Instead of having to
change every game that uses olpcgames, we can just update the system
package.)

To do this, I primarily need a volunteer to maintain the olpcgames
package as a Fedora package. Preferably someone who has Fedora packaging
experience. I am not doing it myself because I am heading back to school
in a few days and I can't commit to the time it will take (I am not a
Fedora developer, so there's a lot of process involved for me). I think
Noah also said he wouldn't be able to do it for similar reasons.

Once it is packaged, it can go into builds. Once it's in builds, Pygame
activity developers can remove the 'olpcgames' subdirectory of their
bundle entirely; the system installed version will be found
automatically.

The latest version of olpcgames can be found in the git repository
'projects/games-misc' at dev.laptop.org, under the subdirectory
'olpcgames-src'.

So, any volunteers?

Lincoln