[OLPC-Games] GTK+ video target for SDL, first attempt.

Kent Quirk kent_quirk at cognitoy.com
Thu Apr 19 09:36:14 EDT 2007

Wow, Ryan, this looks like a good approach. I'm hoping that some of the
people more intimate with Sugar than I am will chime in with additional
commentary.

The things I think we care about most are:

* An unmodified SDL application should "play nice" with Sugar and not do
anything inappropriate
* It should be relatively easy to modify an SDL app to do everything
Sugar wants an app to do
* It should be possible to tweak PyGame so that an unmodified PyGame app
does everything right
* There should be some way to get PyGame and PyGTK to cooperate. I don't
know enough yet to know how much of a problem that will be, except maybe
a conflict between two main loops, but I hope that we'll be able to work
out whatever problems there are.

We have some Google Summer of Code students who were planning to work on
all this stuff when they finish class for the year, and that's about
when my availability will improve as well. It's fantastic that you're
giving us a head start. If it turns out you have all of this out of the
way by the time they're ready, there's plenty more for them to do in the
areas of PyGame extensions and support for the OLPC-specific hardware.
But if you need or want assistance from them, it will be available in a
couple of weeks.

    Kent