[OLPC-Games] High School Programming "Jam"

Kent Quirk kent_quirk at cognitoy.com
Mon Apr 16 18:07:02 EDT 2007

Hi, Clare.

I have a little bit of experience teaching high schoolers, and somewhat
more experience teaching high school teachers. :-)

I'm a strong believer in teaching programming through game development.
The students tend to be highly motivated to learn what they need to know
to create the games. There are textbooks appropriate for high school
students. Because the Computer Science SAT2 now uses Java, these
textbooks tend to focus on Java as the programming language, including
one that I was involved with. (Introduction to Computer Science using
Java; by Liberty, Quirk, and Weiss; Glencoe 2004)

But if your goal is excitement rather than passing a test, I think
you're doing it right.

The OLPC will support a variety of programming environments, but we're
really concentrating on Python as the platform's primary language and
PyGame as the most fundamental programming API.

If you get the girls programming games in Python using PyGame, you'll be
in great shape. You'll have to teach them some fundamental concepts, of
course, but this website has a paper where the author calls Python "the
best language we have found for introducing programming to absolute
beginners."
http://tech.canterburyschool.org/pycon/

In my opinion, it's useful to talk about programming by first talking
about logic and using some tools to express programming concepts without
the syntax. I hope that our Summer of Code projects this summer will
generate some tools in that direction. All such projects are intended
for completion early in the summer, so whatever we come up with will be
available for your use this fall. Keep an eye on this list -- as things
get released, I'm sure we'll be sending out announcements.

    Kent