[OLPC-Games] Introduction and howdy!

Kent Quirk kent_quirk at cognitoy.com
Tue Apr 3 01:14:38 EDT 2007

Steve:

Thanks for writing.

The whole games process for the OLPC platform is just beginning to come
together. I'd encourage you to ask these questions on the wiki at
wiki.laptop.org...but I'll give you a brief flavor of where I think
things are.

First, please understand that I do not speak for OLPC, and I've only
been involved for a few weeks.

As a professional game developer, what I'm trying to do is to carry
forward the philosophy I've seen in the OLPC environment, which is to
put together a set of tools in an open and public fashion, and then let
people do what they will.

Some of what gets produced will be great, some of it won't be. Some of
it may ship preinstalled on the unit, other items may be available for
download.

One Huge Game is not where anyone wants to be, as far as I can tell. A
diversity of content aimed a wideranging audience is what's called for.
Ideally, things that have educational value (by encouraging creativity
and skill development) without being "edutainment". Some of it will be
pure entertainment value -- but even there, we hope it will leverage
other things like interpersonal communication. For example, I think most
people involved with the platform would much prefer to see a multiplayer
checkers game that is graphically weak to a gorgeous 3D checkers game
that is single player. Of course, ideally, we'd have both gorgeous and
multiplayer.

There are other important driving forces:

* The machine has limited performance (think non-3D computer from 1999,
except the resolution is a bit higher -- which makes it effectively
slower).
* The intent is to allow freedom to tinker -- the system is designed so
that the children who use it should feel free to view the source to most
everything on the machine and be able to modify it. So that means that
open source games written in Python are much preferred.
* The children who have these machines won't be paying money for
software. So Big Licenses aren't happening. In fact, I'll bet that even
major international brands like Coke would be hard pressed to have high
name recognition among the target market.

So the roadmap is as follows:

* Get SDL running (in the next few days, hopefully)
* Get PyGame running (on top of SDL). PyGame is a platform for most of
the interesting game development going on in Python today, so it
provides a nice base of resources for people, including the target
market, to learn from.
* Get lots of games underway
* Build a couple of basic game toolkits, such as simple platforms for
making adventure games, educational games, puzzle games, and the like.
* Ship as much as possible

Your thoughts and energy are encouraged. Please poke around the wiki; in
particular, see this page:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Game_development

We hope to hear more from you soon.

Thanks for your interest,