[Etoys] Stuff to do for Sugar release 0.84

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Mar 30 15:43:52 EDT 2009

On 27.03.2009, at 15:14, Korakurider wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de
> > wrote:
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de>
>>> Date: 27. März 2009 12:00:32 MEZ
>>> To: Sugar Devel <sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org>
>>> Subject: [Sugar-devel] Bugs are beautiful people (Volume 1)
>>>
>>> We have one week left for our 0.84.2 Release [1]. This is our final
>>> update for 0.84.
>>>
>>> [1] http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/Release/Roadmap#Schedule
>>
>> I'm curious: who ever tested Etoys in Sugar 0.84?
>     While I am eager to test it, it became really hard for casual
> developers without
>     sugar-jhbuild-capable box (like me) to have Sugar ready-to-test
> image these days...
>    SoaS seems promising, but it seems confusing which is official
> version to test.

Yes it's a bit hard to keep up with the Sugar folks ... The easiest
way to test is by using "Sugar on a Stick". I simply download that
disk image and use it in an emulator. SoaS-1 works best so far:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick

There were issues reported running this on an XO, that's why I use it
in emulation.

There are two main UI changes affecting Etoys. For one, clicking the
Etoys icon on the home screen resumes the latest project, so there is
no simple access to the "cloudy" launcher screen any more. Secondly,
other activities now bring up a "save dialog" when stopping them the
first time, so that kids are more likely to enter a good project name,
and possibly a description and tags (on subsequent saves this dialog
is not shown but the meta data re-used).

- Bert -