[Etoys] finalStripping hangs waitForCommand

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 06:08:18 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 16 June 2009 02:49:39 pm Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> This is either really dangerous or you cannot exchange projects
> anymore. Which of the two evils did you choose?
The latter. But it is not really evil ;-). It serves our purpose admirably.
LatexMorph Etoy is a tool that uses OSProcess to invoke latex on the
underlying host to typeset LaTeX commands but the resulting graphic is cached
in the Etoy. On hosts without LaTeX, the graphic can be seen but not edited.

Of course, a project with this Etoy will not load into an image without
LatexMorph. The Etoy itself can be trashed after the graphic is extracted into
an ImageMorph if its use outside of our schools is intended.

The code is available in http://www.squeaksource.com/LatexMorph. It needs
OSProcess (in the image) and latex and dvipng on the host. See LatexMorph
class for examples of usage.

How is OSProcess more dangerous than console shell access?

Subbu