[Etoys] Project launcher

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 03:17:23 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 07 Jul 2009 9:22:51 am Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
> At Sat, 4 Jul 2009 23:14:35 +0530,
>
> K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > "EToysLauncher openPanel" is a much better open for findAProjectSimple
> > than the current project open dialog. Is there any reason why it is not
> > being used? Is it on the way out?
>
>   As far as I can tell, it doesn't show all projects in a folder and
> there is not scrolling or paging to access them.  (openGallery does
> have it)
It is meant to act like "10 Recent Projects" and is quite quick. It could use
a button to open a gallery for all the rest of it.
>   And I have 100's of .pr in a folder, and it takes a quite long time
> to open it even on my regular laptop.
You mean 'openGallery'? It creates a book and populates all the pages with
graphic buttons.
>   Seemingly a nice idea but it doesn't often scale.
I suppose both ideas (panel and gallery) can be combined to present a single
book with the first page containing "10 recent projects" and other pages lazily
updated to display entries from the servers.

A simple metaphor for off-image project files would be a ScrapBook with lazily
updated pages containing project entries as icons. Drag an icon from the
scrapbook and drop it into the current world to create a ProjectViewMorph.
Click to enter and edit it. On coming back to its parent, the same morph can
be dropped back into the book to save it. We only need a single Scrapbook icon
instead of the current Load and Save icons.

Subbu