[Etoys] Fwd: [Vm-dev] Sound is working on 64-bit Linux now

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Apr 29 18:14:32 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:12:56AM -0700, Jerome Peace wrote:

> Hi Bert,
>
> Good news.
>
> And thanks for your help on the squeak dev list threads about this.
>
> The problem isn't actually solved until the distribution is in place.
> I have not heard one word from a human in response to my additions to the ubuntu bug report.
>
> I presume with Jose's involvement the fixes will show up on down stream Debian distributions.

Just to clarify, and so that expectations are realistic: There are probably
a few more steps that should happen before the Linux distributions are updated.
The Squeak VM needs to work for Windows, Mac, and Linux users alike, and
several people are involved in doing these updates (there may be some vacation
and work schedules to consider here too).

While not strictly necessary, I expect that Linux package maintainers would
want to build packages from known-good versions of the sources, and that
means that someone is creating the actual C source code to be used in the
Linux package. This is different from most other Linux software because
Squeak really is written in itself, so producing the source code for the
VM involves asking Squeak to translate part of itself into C, which in turn
will be used to produce the actual Linux squeak-vm packages.

Dave

p.s. Of course, anyone with enough interest (and patience) can learn to
build their own VM using Squeak. This is quite interesting and educational
in its own right, but perhaps a bit off topic for the etoys list ;-)