[Etoys] Opening a zip file

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Sun Apr 12 04:46:23 EDT 2009

On April 10, 2009, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 10.04.2009, at 04:53, Milan Zimmermann wrote:

> > files.

> > Etoys

> > Etoys.
> >
> > > Well it does open in Etoys already. There just is no simple way to
> > > extract to the Journal, yet.
> >
> > ah I see. I thought there was a way because if I "highlight text and
> > copy" from Etoys and the text appears in Journal, with a few
> > associations. But yes I guess I did not see an example where a file
> > (or files) would be put on clipboard...
>
> Right. It could be added of course, dragging a file out of the ZIP
> viewer into the clipboard would be possible ... though we do have
> bigger fish to fry.

yes...

> > > What size do you mean?
> >
> > i ment squeak size (could be smaller if tool only did zip/unzip). I
> > think that would only be a potential issue if many were kept open.
>
> You mean RAM? Well it would be nice to compare a Python+GTK activity's
> memory footprint against Squeak.

well I ment RAM for Squeak + etoys image size. You are addressing image size
below - I think you are saying currently whole image is in memory (which I
assumed) but also there may be a way to load to memory only those pieces of
the image that are referenced, is that correct? That would be very
interesting. Out of my skill area, but interesting :) Worth adding to the
squeakland bug list as enhancement , I should add it.

MIlan