[Etoys] Sound in SoaS

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Apr 10 03:58:51 EDT 2009

On 10.04.2009, at 07:34, Milan Zimmermann wrote:

> On April 9, 2009, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> > On 06.04.2009, at 06:41, Milan Zimmermann wrote:
> > > - [Etoys-Sugar-0.84-OLPC] Soas-2009040110. Played on OLPC from a
> > > stick. No sound .using either -vm-sound-OSS or vm-sound-ALSA in /
> usr/
> > > bin/etoys. This seems problem with Sugar, not Etoys. The driver is
> > > loaded yet I do not hear any sound in any Sugar activities.
> > > http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-214
> >
> > I tried SoaS-beta in VirtualBox on a Mac (it still does not boot in
> > VMWare Fusion). Had to add a sound adapter when making the VM, it
> was
> > not added by default.
> >
> > There was no sound in Speak, nor in Etoys.
> >
> > BUT: In the Terminal activity, "aplay /usr/share/sound/alsa/
> > Front_Center.wav" did play fine, so sound *is* working.
>
> On my OLPC with SoS 2009-apr-1 sound does not work from Terminal
> activity either. I will redo it from the latest avaiable iso and see
> if that helps.

SoaS is not really meant to be run on the XO yet. It uses a stock
Fedora kernel which does not fully support the XO hardware yet.

It works better on regular PC hardware and in emulators.

> > The same
> > command did *not* work on a Linux VT console, neither as root nor as
> > liveuser.
> >
> > The Etoys log file had the known "soundStart: snd_add_pcm_handler:
> > Function not implemented" message. So I added the -vm-sound-OSS
> > workaround to /usr/bin/etoys and then sound in Etoys played fine.
> >
> > No idea about Speak though, there was no error in its log file.
>
> yeah, I just thought that if anything would have sound it would be
> Speak activity but it did not.

Speak does no sound because a library is missing. Too bad these things
only get mentioned on IRC rather than the Sugar-dev mailing list :(